Thursday, January 29, 2015

Discordia Arts Challenge: Entry 2


Journal Prompt: Analyze your personal dance practice. What are my goals* for dance in 2015? How is my personal practice structured (or not structured? Do I feel like my personal practice is adequate to meet my dance goals for this year, and if not, what do I think I need to do, what help do I need, and how can I restructure my personal practice in order to better reach my goals?

I have been mulling over my goals for 2015. The newest journal task in the Discordia Arts Dance Challenge has prompted me to seriously contemplate them and narrow them down. It is easy for me to want to do all the things on my list but it is also unrealistic and would split my focus. I have a long list and a short attention span.

I set up a dance room last year and have been working on it ever since. We converted my dining room into a nice-sized dance space, complete with mirrors on 2 walls, shelves for music, books, dvds, zills, and props, places to hang my swords, and various decorative things. We have a TV and DVD player mounted for dance DVDs. Lately I have been leaving a hip scarf or two and my wings on the shelves as well. I think that it is actually a nice space for practice and, with the exception of normal home distractions, it should fit my needs for a long time. It helps to have everything in one area.

One main goal for me is to truly structure practice and to make it a daily habit, including yoga and conditioning. I practice when I can but I could do more. I am unfamiliar with conditioning and structuring practices due to my lack of involvement in anything that required it. One way for me to tackle this goal is to commit to the 90 Day Dance Challenge. The challenge is to set goals and work towards them everyday for 90 days, even if it is only five minutes. I think that I could meet that while working towards making my practices the most efficient and beneficial. Getting into the routine of making time everyday will help. I do little things throughout the day anyways, but this will be me working towards setting more meaningful habits.

My other goals are varied. I plan on working on my belly rolls and layering. I plan on completing every DVD in my collection and using Datura Online. I also plan on working towards improvisation and trying my hand at building choreography. We'll see what 2015 brings, but I hope that I hit some of my goals on my journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment