Saturday, February 14, 2015

Discordia Arts Dance Challenge Entry #4

Prompt: Self critique and analysis.
Watch a video of yourself dancing (if you don't have a performance video, use your camera or phone to tape a quick improv and use that).

Critique yourself. Be honest, but be kind. Imagine that the person on the video is another dancer who has asked you for feedback but is not you. Some* things to look for are technique, musicality, artistry and emotion, movement transitions, general lines, use of prop (if applicable), diversity of movement, and overall feel of the piece. Look for both the good things that you are doing and the areas where you need improvement, and write your critique out.



I have only performed in groups so I don't have anything solo to critique. I decided to critique myself during an event where I performed three times. I royally screwed up my first performance and my nerves were shot. I was about ready to give up. The second one went better. This was the last one and a culmination of nerves, fears, and celebration.

I'm not good at critiquing, myself or anyone else. So this will probably be short and not as in-depth as it could be. Perhaps I will revisit this and re-critique a few years from now.

My technique was good for my level and experience, I think. There are still some things that need work and improvement but I articulated the moves and don't think I screwed up much. I was a bit fast on some things because I was so worried about messing up that I went on auto pilot and rushed some things.

Emotion is my big issue. I'm too busy concentrating to really emote. This piece was more forgiving of a serious face than most that I have done but I still feel like I missed out on major moment to really sink into the dance and let the emotion come through.

I'm comfortable with swords and I think that shows. However, I feel like I could improve some of my lines when working with them. I also feel like I could have sank more into some of the moves with it.

Overall, I think it was successful and the feedback that I received verified that. Given my relative "newness" to dance, my attempt at a non-beginner level choreography went well and, with some work on lines, confidence, and emotion it could be really lovely if I perform it again.




No comments:

Post a Comment